Comprehensive editorial services for fiction and nonfiction, tech writing and game design, with 30+ years’ experience.
Close Reading and Critical Assessment
My critiques are thorough, and my suggestions will reach far into the abstract and structural elements of your work.
Are we a good match? Let’s find out.
Contact me for samples or a Trial Edit.
Correcting surface errors in grammar, spelling, punctuation and language.
Per Page*: Short $2.00, Novella $1.50, Novel $1.00
Before we engage in a deal where I critique your entire manuscript, we can do a “Trial Edit,” where I edit a small sample of your work (5-10 pages) at a low arranged price. This trial edit is the best way for us to get familiar with each other’s work. At that point, you can review my edits and see if you want to proceed with the entire piece, giving us an opportunity to stop if we feel no connection.
Fine-tuning your work for audience-appropriate grammar, spelling, continuity and consistency.
Per Page*: Short $3.00, Novella $2.25, Novel $1.50
Line-by-line review for effective syntax and common stylistic problems such as passive voice, wordiness, weak words, overused words, redundancies, repetition and padding.
Per Page*: Short $4.00, Novella $3.00, Novel $2.00
Substantive revisions or reconstructions for literary issues such as narrative arc, dialogue, structure, point of view, tense, showing vs telling, characterization, inconsistent behavior, sagging middles, info dumps, plot holes, lack of conflict, etc.
Per Page*: Short $6.00, Novella $4.50, Novel $3.00
* 300 words equals one page.
Editorial Credits Include:
- Points in Time (David Watkinson, in development) science fiction/screenplay
- Fragments 1 (S L Koch, 2021) bizarro/horror fiction/anthology
- White Out (Kathy Lee, 2021) modern fiction/novel
- Bright Manifest: Luminarium Two (Rick Rosenkranz, 2021) science fiction/novel
- Dark Evasion: Luminarium One (Rick Rosenkranz, 2020) science fiction/novel
- Living Nightmare (D M Dore, 2019) modern thriller/novel
- Liquid Hitler (S L Koch, 2018) bizarro noir/novella
- Dork Knights of Harohbakh (S L Koch, 2018) science fiction/short story
- Memoirs of an Undead Book Printer (Jens Durke, 2018) science fiction/short story
- The Heart of a Doctor (G. Dean Manuel, 2018) science fiction/short story
- I, Witness (Irene Bassett, 2018) science fiction/short story
- Playing with Dolls (D M Dore, 2018) science fiction/short story
- Ghost Story (Brad Cole, 2018) science fiction/short story
- Skin Job (Adrian McCauley, 2018) science fiction/short story
- Two Heads on a Platter (Rick Rosenkranz, 2018) science fiction/short story
- Phadra (Sierra Tenk, 2017) fantasy/short story
- Crime of the Scene (S L Koch, 2017) bizarro/novella
- To Summon Mountains (DeAnna Knippling, 2017) science fiction/short story
- Real Life Action Hero (T Reynolds, 2017) science fiction/short story
- Surrounded by Dolphins (Adrian McCauley, 2017) science fiction/short story
- Stockholm Syndrome (Shariann Lewitt, 2017) science fiction/short story
- Rat Queen to Black King (S L Koch, 2017) science fiction/short story
- Rebel, Rebel (Tod Davies, 2017) science fiction/short story
- Murder Inc (Antony Copeland, 2017) science fiction/short story
- Awake (Nikos Carcosa, 2017) science fiction/short story
- Liar (Chella Faithe, 2016) literary/novella
- Dagger Falls into Flower (S L Koch, 2016) bizarro/short story
- Matches (Thing12 Games, 2022) card game rules
- Dice of Dragons (Thing12 Games, 2021) fantasy dice game rules
- COREthulhu (John Haremza, 2021) fantasy/roleplaying game rules
- Welcome to the Wildlife Wrestling Association (Kurt Aummeuller, 2020) fantasy/roleplaying game rules
- The Other Side of the Table (Chromatic Chameleon Publishing, 2018) essays on RP gaming
- A Road Trip to Remember (Chromatic Chameleon Publishing, 2017) fantasy/roleplaying adventure
- Asteria Rising (Chromatic Chameleon Publishing, 2017) fictional geography/atlas
- The Mark of Change (Giacomo Vicenzi, 2017) fantasy/roleplaying game rules
- DayTrippers GameMasters Guide (As If Productions, 2015) roleplaying game rules
- DayTrippers Core Rules (As If Productions, 2015) roleplaying game rules
- The Palace Iptscrae Language Reference (ThePalace Inc, 1996) programmers’ manual
- The Palace Server Guide (ThePalace Inc, 1996) software administrators’ manual
- The Palace Users Guide (ThePalace Inc, 1996) software user manual
- Doomsday (Amazing Media, 1995) adventure game design & specification
- Area 51 (Judson Rosebush, 1994) adventure game design & specification
- Ocean Explorer (Judson Rosebush, 1993) adventure game design & specification
- The WELLMUSE Manual (The WELL, 1992) MUD/MUSE documentation
NEWSLETTERS & PERIODICALS
- PIX-Elation (VRASP, 1992-1995) Sr Editor, nationally-distributed home tech magazine
- IICS LA News (IICS, 1992-1994) Managing Editor, interactive industry newsletter
It’s important to find the right editor for your style and personality. That’s why I believe the ideal writer-editor relationship is both tight and extended. After all, it’s more than a matter of grammar; it’s a matter of message, voice, quality and consistency. Ready to take that step? Drop me a line.